- RSS Channel Showcase 3762825
- RSS Channel Showcase 3716830
- RSS Channel Showcase 9420354
- RSS Channel Showcase 9329928
Articles on this Page
- 06/10/13--11:56: _RE: SQL2012 - Avail...
- 06/10/13--12:02: _RE: SQL2012 - Avail...
- 06/10/13--14:32: _RE: SQL2012 - Avail...
- 06/17/13--12:27: _RE: SQL Backup 7.3
- 06/17/13--14:22: _RE: SQL Backup File...
- 06/18/13--14:14: _SQL Error 17
- 06/19/13--01:20: _RE: SQL Error 17
- 06/20/13--06:39: _SQL Backup 7.4
- 06/20/13--08:24: _RE: SQL Error 17
- 06/26/13--04:44: _Transaction Log Res...
- 06/26/13--23:46: _RE: Transaction Log...
- 06/27/13--05:54: _RE: Transaction Log...
- 06/27/13--06:32: _RE: Transaction Log...
- 06/27/13--07:32: _RE: Transaction Log...
- 06/27/13--09:09: _RE: Transaction Log...
- 06/27/13--17:52: _Cannot install on w...
- 06/29/13--18:47: _RE: Cannot install ...
- 07/02/13--06:45: _RE: Click on server...
- 07/15/13--02:01: _RE: Restore of DB w...
- 07/16/13--10:41: _Network Copy Locati...
- 06/10/13--11:56: RE: SQL2012 - Availability Groups - backing up via replica
- 06/10/13--12:02: RE: SQL2012 - Availability Groups - backing up via replica
- 06/10/13--14:32: RE: SQL2012 - Availability Groups - backing up via replica
- 06/17/13--12:27: RE: SQL Backup 7.3
- 06/17/13--14:22: RE: SQL Backup File Converter throws error since 18.104.22.168 release
- 06/18/13--14:14: SQL Error 17
- 06/19/13--01:20: RE: SQL Error 17
- 06/20/13--06:39: SQL Backup 7.4
- 06/20/13--08:24: RE: SQL Error 17
- 06/26/13--04:44: Transaction Log Restores
- 06/26/13--23:46: RE: Transaction Log Restores
- 06/27/13--05:54: RE: Transaction Log Restores
- 06/27/13--06:32: RE: Transaction Log Restores
- 06/27/13--07:32: RE: Transaction Log Restores
- 06/27/13--09:09: RE: Transaction Log Restores
- 06/27/13--17:52: Cannot install on windows 2012 cluster
- 06/29/13--18:47: RE: Cannot install on windows 2012 cluster
- 07/02/13--06:45: RE: Click on server name, green circle spins forever
- 07/15/13--02:01: RE: Restore of DB with Full Text Catalogs
- 07/16/13--10:41: Network Copy Location keeps trying to copy to the old path
Thanks for the reply, disappointed though that availability groups aren't supported at this time, I did contact support back in September when we purchased the licences and was advised to purchase a Backup licence for each node and told "this really shouldn't present you with any problems" (after having described our setup) ..... which I took to mean it was supported.
It does mean we may have to move away from RedGate Backup at the moment as we can't have the backups running on our primary node any longer, we have to backup from one of the other replicas as this is part of the reason we implemented the solution.
I will look out for the feature being available in a later update/release.
I understand your frustration - i'll feed it back to our development team and hopefully we can get it sorted out sooner rather than later.
Thanks James, I'd appreciate that.
Kind regards, David.
Can someone point me to the step by step process (or link) that explains how to upgrade on a Windows 2008R2 two node cluster?
On a standalone instance, it's pretty straight forward, but I'm afraid that's not the same (or should not) when RedGate runs on a two node Cluster.
Thanks in advance,
The labs link is for the 22.214.171.124 version of the converter tool. But, yes it does work. Can you repair the corrupted current version (126.96.36.199) for future releases?
I registered a named instance <servername>\LOCALDEV. I used the wizard.
Backup failed, complaining it couldn't find the server. Note that the server name is NOT LOCALDEV\LOCALDEV
I have no idea why it is trying to connect to a server named <instancename>\<instancename>
SQL Backup log file 188.8.131.52
-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [License_Apps] TO DISK = 'T:\FileTransfer\SGN2SGN\_License_Apps.sqb' WITH ERASEFILES = 1b , CHECKSUM, DISKRETRYINTERVAL = 30, DISKRETRYCOUNT = 10, COMPRESSION = 4, INIT, THREADCOUNT = 3, COPY_ONLY "
----------------------------- ERRORS AND WARNINGS -----------------------------
6/18/2013 1:27:48 PM: Backing up License_Apps (full database) on LOCALDEV instance to:
6/18/2013 1:27:48 PM: T:\FileTransfer\SGN2SGN\_License_Apps.sqb
SQL error 17: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.
Server : LOCALDEV\LOCALDEV
6/18/2013 1:28:06 PM: Failed to connect to SQL Server instance: LOCALDEV\LOCALDEV
Could you please check in the registry
HKLM\Software\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\LOCALDEV
if there is an entry for 'SQLServerName'?
Were pleased to announce that SQL Backup 7.4 has been released and is available to download. This is a minor release and includes new features and bug fixes.
- - Changes to the Install Server Components and Upgrade Server Components wizards to facilitate installing and uprading the server components on remote machines. You will need to specify an account which is an administrator on the machine in order to install or upgrade the server components.
- When backing up or restoring, you can use WITH ERASEFILES_PRIMARY and ERASEFILES_SECONDARY to manage existing backup files.
For more information, see The BACKUP command and The RESTORE command. These options are not available from the GUI.
- When restoring transaction log backups, you can use WITH DELAY to specify a minimum age for backups. This is useful if you are log shipping to a standby server, and want to maintain that server at a certain period of time behind the primary server. This option is not available from the GUI.
Bugs fixed in 7.4
SB-5415 - When installing the server components with the /Log switch, account passwords are no longer recorded in plain text in the log.
SB-5446 - SQL Backup server components installer checks that the user is a member of the SQL Server sysadmin role before attempting the installation.
SB-5447 - The server components installer (SQBServerSetup.exe) displays error messages correctly.
SB-5448 - A clearer message is displayed when the SQL Backup Pro GUI is closed while a backup is in progress.
SB-5482 - Details of servers on non-standard ports are now stored correctly in the backup header, so backups can be identified by the ERASEFILES options.
SB-5501 - Including WITH COPYTO and VEIRFY in a BACKUP LOGS command no longer causes the backup files to be copied twice.
SQBCE-52 - When logging in to the SQL Backup Pro Hosted Storage website, error messages are no longer displayed when form details are cleared
SQL Backup 7.4 is a free upgrade from versions 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3. To upgrade, from the Help menu select Check for Updates or download a trial from the SQL Backup page and use your serial number to activate.
User interface version: 184.108.40.206 (to check the version number, from the Help menu select About SQL Backup).
Server components version: 220.127.116.11 (to check the version number, from the Edit menu select Properties).
No. However, uninstall at the machine, then reinstall seemed to get things working.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettings]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettings\(LOCAL)]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettings\LOCALDEV]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\(LOCAL)]
"DataPath"="C:\\ProgramData\\Red Gate\\SQL Backup\\Data\\(local)"
"LogFolder"="C:\\ProgramData\\Red Gate\\SQL Backup\\Log\\(local)"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\LOCALDEV]
"DataPath"="C:\\ProgramData\\Red Gate\\SQL Backup\\Data\\LOCALDEV"
"LogFolder"="C:\\ProgramData\\Red Gate\\SQL Backup\\Log\\LOCALDEV"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\InstalledInstances]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\InstalledInstances\(LOCAL)]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\InstalledInstances\LOCALDEV]
I currently have the following backup schedule for a selected database:
Weekly FULL, Daily DIFF & Hourly LOGS
I was under the impression that any FULL backup that was done on the database without the "COPY_ONLY" option selected, would result in the backup chain being broken and would potentially impact any subsequent restore operations.
However, I have discovered that this does not appear to be the case.
For example, I created a "rogue" full backup (using SSMS) in between my hourly RedGate Transaction Logs, thinking that any attempt to restore subsequent Transaction Logs would fail, but the restore procedure does not complain about the fact I have this "rogue" backup and allows me to restore the full set of previous logs, differential and full backups.
So, my question is how does the restore not complain about the fact that a full backup in the middle of my Trans Log schedule has been done without the COPY_ONLY option?
Hope this makes sense.
|So, my question is how does the restore not complain about the fact that a full backup in the middle of my Trans Log schedule has been done without the COPY_ONLY option?|
Any problems pertaining to backup 'rules' will be raised by SQL Server during the backup process, and reported by SQL Backup. SQL Backup by itself does not perform any validation of the 'rules'. E.g. if your database is running the simple recovery model and you attempt to back up that database's transaction log using SQL Backup, it is SQL Server that raises the error, and SQL Backup simply reports it.
In your example, there is nothing wrong with taking a full database backup. Neither SQL Server nor SQL Backup can ever know that only full backups taken by your scheduled jobs are considered 'valid', and other other backups should raise an error during the restore process.
If you need to know when full backups have been made by other users, you can refer to the backup history tables, as described here.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Reading back my post, I don't think I explained particularly well what my query is - I'll try and clarify a bit better.
Let's say I have the following backup files (all created by RedGate):
If I wanted to restore up to (and including) Log_6, I would restore Full_1, Diff_1, Log_4, Log_5 & Log_6. Pretty straightforward.
However, let's say that unknown to me, someone had taken a full backup of the database (via SSMS) after Log_4. Surely in this case, the "log chain" will have been broken, and my attempt at restoring using the same backup set would fail?
Hope that makes sense.
Just done some further reading on this and discovered that my understanding of my restore scenario is wrong.
So, unless I'm mistaken, I could still use the same backup set for the restore without any problems.
Yes, you can still restore up to Log_6 using the same sequence you described earlier, or you could restore using that 'other' backup and subsequently just Log_5 and Log_6.
A full backup affects only the base from which your differential backups need to restore from. E.g. if a full backup was taken between Log_2 and Log_3, then Diff_1 would require that you restore that full backup first. Full_1 would be rendered redundant for Diff_1, unless that other full backup was made using the COPY_ONLY option.
Makes perfect sense now.
I am trying to run SQBServerSetup on a new cluster that we are building. It is Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2012.
I get the following error:
Failed to obtain the list of cluster nodes.
The current SQL Backup installer does not support installation on Windows 2012 clusters. We are fixing this issue, and a patch will be released once the issue has been satisfactorily resolved.
Is there any updates to this issue? I am still experiencing it with 7.4 release. It is very frustrating.
nice post thanks for sharing
We were using the Network Copy Location feature to copy backed up databases and transaction logs from our sql server to a NAS. The NAS died the other day and I changed the Folder in which I wanted these backups copied to. I have verified in the job settings in the SQL Backup program and I even verified that the path had been changed in the underlying sql job in sql server. However I'm still getting error emails that its failing to copy to the now nonexistant NAS. That was yesterday. Today when I checked it seems like it is starting to copy to the new location.
Any idea why it seems like it took 24hrs to make this change? Is there a service I should restart to make the change instantaneous? What will that do to database and transaction log backups in progress? Is there a separate service that handles the copying of files off of the server?